Today is such a beautiful Spring day, and what better way to enjoy it then with a delicious bowl of Paella.
I have tested, changed and edited this recipe quite a few times, and now it is here for you. It is gluten free and can be done meat free as well for the vegetarians and Pescatarian's out there.
Serving Size - 4
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (14.5 oz) of gluten-free chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup Lundberg’s Jasmine rice
- ½ cup water
- 1 ½ t dried thyme, crushed
- ¼ t ground saffron
- ¼ t red pepper, crushed (optional)
- 1 pound peeled shrimp
- ½ pound mussels
- ½ pound clams
- ¾ cups frozen peas
- ¼ pound gluten free chicken sausage - andouille (eliminate if meat free)
- 1 bunches of scallions, diced
- optional - sea beans
In a large deep skillet add the sausage, broth, rice, water, thyme, saffron, and red pepper in a skillet. Bring mixture to a boil, cover it, and let is simmer for about 15 minutes. You want the heat to be just right or all the water will evaporate before your rice has a chance to cook. After the rice has cooked, add the shrimp, mussels, clams, tomatoes, green onions, peas, and any remaining herbs. Cover and cook until shellfish opens and shrimp are cooked through. Serve from skillet. Top each bowl with a few sea beans for added flavor.
- Meat free? skip it, add some sea beans to the rice when cooking for some added flavor
- Vegetarian? No problem, chop up 2 cups of veggies, I like to use zucchini, summer squash and bell peppers. When the recipe calls to add the shellfish go ahead and add the vegetables