People ask me all the time what kind of dishes they can prepare in advance to eat throughout the week, so today I am going to share with you one of my summer staples. I am keeping it simple todays recipe super simple for you guys, 3 ingredient simple. Being prepared means you won't fail after all. Along with my watermelon salad this is a summer staple in my fridge.
In addition to being simple and delicious, this salad is also packed full of health benefits and here are some reasons you should add them to your diet:
- Asparagus – Also known to me as my mother’s favorite vegetable, asparagus has many health benefits. At only 40 calories per cup, asparagus contain 288 milligrams of potassium as well as 3 grams of fiber which aids in cleansing the digestive system. Asparagus is also rich in potassium, vitamin A, and folate which gives it anti-aging functions, aids in protecting against cancer, reducing pain and inflammation, reducing risk of heart disease as well as birth defects. Asparagus also contains vitamin K which can help prevent osteoporosis and osteoarthritis.
- Tomatoes – Studies have shown that tomatoes can lower cholesterol, as well as reduce blood pressure and maintain healthy cellular growth (meaning it can help you have healthier hair, nails and skin). Tomatoes also contain the antioxidant lycopene, which may help prevent certain cancers.
Ok, now back to the recipe:
Asparagus, Tomatoes and Hearts of Palm Salad
Serving Size - 6
- 1 bunch Asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 pint Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- 3-4 stalks Hearts of Palm, sliced
Ok I am going to break it down super simple because it really is. First we are going to blanch the asparagus. Take out a pot and boil some water. Once boiling add the sliced asparagus and cook for 2 minutes they should be a bright shade of green. Immediately transfer the asparagus into cold water to stop the cooking. Once cooled drain the asparagus and place in a bowl. Toss with the halved tomatoes and hearts of palms and you are good to go.
I like to top this salad with a a squeeze of lemon and some salt and pepper, but you can use any dressing you choose or none at all.