Sure, we have all heard of dried figs, but it is not until summer and you are able to enjoy a fresh fig that you really understand how amazing this little fruit is! Packed with flavor and antioxidants this fruit is more a treat. Be sure to get your hands on some before you miss the short season.
Now, since it is a CleanTox post lets get to my Top 10 Fig Facts:
1. Eating figs regularly can help reduce the risk of breast cancer and colon cancer.
2. The soluble fiber found in figs called Pectin helps in reducing blood cholesterol.
3. The content of potassium, Omega 3 and Omega 6 in figs helps to maintain blood pressure and prevent coronary heart attacks.
4. Consuming figs can reduce fatigue, improve brain memory and prevent anemia.
5. Natural laxative effect; consuming figs is helpful for treating chronic constipation.
6. Due to its high water content, mashed figs acts as an excellent skin cleanser and helps in preventing and curing acne.
7. Figs are rich in natural Benzaldehid as Phenol and Anti-Tumor Agent and Micro-organisms can kill pathogens, fungus and virus in the human body.
8. Figs are rich in dietary fiber, which makes them very effective for weight loss.
9. Content of Calcium and Potassium in figs helps prevent osteoporosis, and helps to increase bone density.
10. Content of Tryptophan in figs, induces good sleep and helps get rid of sleep disorders such as insomnia.
Now I wouldn't leave you with out a recipe to go along...
Mixed Greens with Figs and Goat Cheese
Serving Size - 4
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 8 figs, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- handful of green olives (castelvetrano are my personal favorite!)
- 1 t balsamic glaze
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
Place all ingredients in bowl and toss with balsamic glaze and vinegar. Place in four bowls and serve.
Don't forget how great figs are alone, enjoy with a cup of tea before bed for a good night sleep.