Last week I talked about how you need to Eat The Rainbow, well now I present you with a highlight on the color purple; Eggplant!
As I mentioned in last week's post "blue, purple and deep-red fruits and vegetables are full of anthocyanins and proanthocyanins, antioxidants associated with keeping the heart healthy and the brain functioning optimally." Today we will talk specifically about the purple eggplant.
Let's break it down:
- Supply iron, calcium and other minerals required by the body.
- Contain certain essential phyto nutrients which improve blood circulation and nourish the brain. Note - these nutrients are concentrated in the skin of the eggplant, so don’t throw it away.
- Provide fiber, which protects the digestive tract. FUN FACT, regular intake of eggplants can protect you from colon cancer.
- Low in calories, with just 35 per cup. It contains no fat and its high fiber content can help you feel full.
- Used for controlling and managing diabetes. Modern research validates this role, thanks to the high fiber and low soluble carbohydrate content of the eggplant.
- According to research studies show they can lower ‘bad’ cholesterol. We all need a healthy heart! Remember, bake it don't fry it!
- Control high blood pressure and relieve stress due to the high amounts od bioflavonoids.
All of these amazing benefits and it tastes great too!!!! Check out these tasty recipes and prepare yourself a bowl full of health today!